Saturday, March 28, 2015

Playing with my art supplies


Art Play 1

I have been playing around and experimenting with my art supplies. Watercolors – see that really cute one of the two little girls? Acrylic craft paints, paint pens, gelatos.

Oh my goodness! Gelatos! I very recently got these (half off, people! Wooot!!!), and I love them!!! They are creamy and blend beautifully. The colors are dreamy! They are so much fun to play with!

And then there are my watercolors…

My first time painting as an adult was with watercolor. I fell madly in love with them. But they are a difficult medium to learn and when I tried acrylics – a much easier medium to work with – I traded my watercolors in for the easier to use medium.

For the past six months or so, I have had a yearning to try watercolors again. I hesitated. I resisted. And then I gave in and bought a small set of Koi Watercolors. Mmmmm, such vibrant colors!

But I put them aside again. I had forgotten all I’d learned about watercolor – which, I might add, was about 20 years ago, and was very beginner.

I already feel insecure enough about my artistic abilities so I resisted adding even more insecurity with watercolor.

You see, I really want to be a great watercolor painter. I mean I really, really want it. I want so much to be able to paint the images I see in my head and I am so far from that reality right now.

I'm feeling intimidated and inadequate. Honestly, it feels quite impossible to me.

But, I also know that I will never get to where I want to be unless I practice, practice, practice! 

And so, the other day, I just played around with my watercolors. Since I love children’s book illustrations so much and the adorable simple characters capture my heart, I just let myself have fun and try my hand at a couple of my own simple watercolor characters and this is what I painted:


WC Characters 1


I love them! They are so cute, and they make me feel happy inside. Smile

Do I have a lot to learn still? Yep, I sure do! But I’ve decided to just have fun along the way. No more pressure! There's already enough pressure in life. I certainly don’t need to invite that into my play time.

I’m off to play some more. It’s Saturday! Go get your play on too! Smile


No comments:

Post a Comment